Monday, January 02, 2006

Herman -Week One

As promised this is the first installment of my adventures with Herman. My plan is to try to keep this Herman journal for one year. If Herman remains alive through the first year he will likely survive hundreds of years.

My knowledge of Herman comes through my daughters great-grandmother, who I will refer to from now on as, Grandma Ruby. Her mother traveled from the Midwest along the Oregon Trail with a crock of Herman. That strain of Herman survived until the 1970s when Grandma Ruby was no longer able to care for him.

Personally, I never even heard of Herman until October 2005. In my teens I tried to make my own sourdough starter but it failed, big time. Richard (grandson of Grandma Ruby and father of DD) encouraged me to give Herman a try because he is sweet, versatile and easy to maintain. His memories of eating Herman baked goods from Grandma Ruby's kitchen persuaded me to go for it.

Started my first pot of Herman on Sunday, November 6, 2005. Used dry package of yeast to start it off, all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of sugar. My Herman pot is a one gallon glass pickle jar. After allowing it to stand at room temperature for 24 hours I placed it into the fridge, stirring daily.

For Herman directions and recipes check out the current TreeHuggerz Tip page.

No comments: